Friday, May 3, 2013

สวัสดี - That's how you say "hello" in Thai!

One of the biggest perks of my current job is that I get two months off in the summer. Unlike Dylan, who will get two months off every single year for the rest of his life, I have a limited window of opportunity here, so I'm taking full advantage of my good fortune. And I am going to Thailand! And Vietnam!! For five weeks!!!

I depart on June 2nd (but don't arrive at my destination until June 4th - that's gonna be rough) and I return on July 10th. Historically I've followed my mother's tradition of packing at 3:00 am the night before leaving, but this time I'm planning ahead and happily spending my weekends preparing for my journey. Behold my goodies!


Clockwise from top left, clockwise: rehydration salts, money belt, antibiotics, universal adapter, first aid kit, travel guide, and neck pillow.

I also made the very adult decision to purchase travel insurance through this company. For $132 (which amounts to $3.38 per day) I'm covered for anything bad that could ever happen to me while I'm away. Baggage delay? Covered. Flight canceled? No sweat. Need a $500,000 medical evac? No problem. Not that I want to dwell on the possibilities, but it feels pretty good to have that assurance.

Who, you ask, will watch Bailey while I'm away? Why, Dylan will, of course!

 (Boo, trying to eat my birthday chocolate)

That's right - I'm traveling solo this time around. Still not sure why I chose to take my first solo trip to a place where I not only do not speak the language but also cannot READ anything. And for over a month! I'm hoping to meet some fellow solo travelers along the way, and I'm also looking forward to developing comfort with solitude.

We'll see how it goes. I'll try to keep folks updated via bogging during my travels (anyone have a used tablet I can take off their hands?). For now, I'm having fun letting my imagination run wild with dreams of Thai basil, beaches, massages, temples, jungles, and adventures as yet unknown!

1 comment:

  1. peace corps gives us those exact same oral rehydration packets! i used them to make dog food. also, you should take anti dhiarreal medicine. you might need it with all the delicious spicy thai street food...

    ReplyDelete