Sunday, February 13, 2011

Oh, Yummy Burger

That phrase, delivered as if it were the first line of a Nerudan ode, was what came out of my mouth last Wednesday when I finished licking the burger juices off of my fingers. Followed by a deep, contented sigh. Dylan accurately assessed the situation, saying, "I have a happy wife." How well he knows me.

I've lately been on a quest to find The Best Burger in Portland (or rather, Jess's Favorite Burger in Portland. And Possibly Ever.) I'm certainly not the only one to undertake the task (and I'm way out of this guy's league), but I'm very happy to weigh in on the matter. Riding on the shoulders of those who have come before me, I've been working my way through some of the known "greats" in PDX. Gruner's burger, widely hailed as one of the best (if not THE best) around, had long been in my sights. After months of longing (and one failed attempt to secure a spot at Gruner), I finally found this beauty within--indeed, in--my grasp. And oh!, what a glorious eating experience it was. I've been replaying it in my mind ever since.

To give you an idea:




I simply must return to Gruner--if nothing else, than to confirm this burger's #1 spot on my list. For although I have a few more to try, I suspect I may have (prematurely) hit my burger climax. Much like eating fish 'n chips in Ireland has forever ruined the experience of eating them anywhere else (they just don't compare--Dylan and I agree on this), I fear that all other burgers will now be unfavorably compared to this one, mourned for what they are not, rather than celebrated for what they are. Damn you, Gruner! I hate you. I love you. Agh! I must have you again!

5 comments:

  1. Whoa, deluxe! I am on a quest for the best veggie burger. Burger quests are so noble...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the support, Lacey! I might join you on your quest, too. A good veggie burger is more elusive, I think, than a great regular burger. But well worth finding. I've never thought of my quest as noble, but now that you mention it, I DO feel like a knight... but maybe more like Don Quixote than Sir Lancelot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ April: Sadly, April, I can't take credit for the photography. And I also can't take credit for crediting others' work well. I attempted to, by providing a link to the original site where the pics were posted, but I should have been more clear: Adam Lindsley deserves credit for the most delicious-looking burger ever photographed, and you can find HIS review of Gruner burger at http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/12/gruner-best-burger-review-portland-or.html.

    ReplyDelete